If you've enjoyed this blog, please consider making a donation using the PayPal button. All money received will be used to make short films, podcasts, documentaries, comedy sketches and more. In return for your donations everything will be available to enjoy for free. Thanks in advance.

Saturday 8 October 2011

Up a bit later than expected, I was the first one awake (a miracle in itself) at eleven o'clock. We got ourselves ready in record time, and made our way to Goose Fair. Goose Fair really is something that Nottingham should be proud of, and why some people from this wonderful city don't come here is something that they should be arrested and thrown out of town for. Go and live somewhere boring if you don't want to take advantage of living somewhere so cool.

The first thing I checked out was the mushy pea stall, by which I mean THE mushy pea stall.

They still can't spell 'additives' though.

I am pleased to announce that the scandal that shook Nottingham to the very core last year has been rectified. The bowls are back!
As I ladled the mint sauce onto my portion of mushy peas, I said well done for bringing back the bowls to the lady behind the counter. When I asked if they had received a lot of complaints about the squirty bottles last year, she gave a smirk when I finished the question with "or was it just me?". I like to imagine that the whole city was up in arms about this, and I'm amazed it didn't make the front page of the Nottingham Post.

There are other mushy pea stalls around Goose Fair, but this is the stall you should go to. Most of the others serve tinned peas, without trying to hide it.

I had a portion of mushy peas, then a hot dog, then did this...

My favourite ride on the whole fair.

People moan about the expense of the fair, but you can't be too poor to enjoy Goose Fair; most of the rides only cost an average of three pounds, (the bungee ride in the video cost a tenner but that's the dearest ride and if you only come once then that is still good), a hot dog was only two fifty. I had to break the national price cap on the price of Coca-Cola, and paid a pound for one can! Still, I was thirsty and it is only once a year, (the fair I mean, not the thirst).

Something that did represent a sign of the times, and a sad sign of the decline of this country as a whole, was the council's interference in the fair. This is a picture of wood-chip being spread over the mud. Presumably in case people slip over and hurt themselves. For fuck's sake! The council should leave alone and let the roustabouts run things themselves.
We watched The X-Factor with our tea, and I realised that I haven't watched it with the same dedication as I normally give it. I hardly remembered any of the contestants from the auditions, and realised that this year The X-Factor doesn't have the traditional Eggyogg. Harry Hill's TV Burp was back on form, with a work of genius delivered, they are going to axe this show. They shouldn't!