If you've enjoyed this blog, please consider making a donation using the PayPal button. All money received will be used to make short films, podcasts, documentaries, comedy sketches and more. In return for your donations everything will be available to enjoy for free. Thanks in advance.

Saturday 14 December 2013

Saturday 14th December

Today I managed to shake myself out of my new found anti-Christmas funk and enjoy a festive day at home with Mandi and the pets. We had planned a day of watching Christmas films, mainly by way of compensation for how busy I have been lately. I try to treat Saturday as my own Sunday whenever possible because of the actual Sunday being a working day for me.


It was the first time this Christmas that I have gone not anywhere near a Ritz cracker, which isn’t like me at all. I also haven’t drunk sherry yet, nor cracked a nut. To be honest I haven’t even made that once a year trip to Marks and Spencer yet, I hope when I do get round to it they have some tins of posh biscuits left otherwise I will have had my best suit dry-cleaned for nothing.

First on our film list was Elf. There was a slight controversy surrounding this film recently due to it being shown this year on Sky Movies. I hadn’t realised that this was a major problem but it appears that the complaints are due to the fact that it isn’t on a regular channel so that everyone can watch it together and write about it on Facebook (old school) and Twitter. Is that really a problem these days? We live in a world where you can watch anything at your own convenience, be it on demand, online, on your phone or tablet so there’s no need for everyone to be in front of the television at the same time. Besides, Elf is one of the films that feature in the Christmas DVD collection of every household, so why are people complaining about not being able to watch it on Channel Four interrupted by adverts? This is one of my favourite films from the festive collection and as with them all I can only watch it once every season. I am glad that I am still able to cry at the end of a good Christmas film which is something I feel I would lose if I watched a film more than once every Christmas. Elf has the right amount of ‘eye-swell points’ that build up to a full on flood of tears at just the right moment.

A lot of people dismiss remakes of films, and I agree that sometimes a remake will come along that just isn’t necessary. However, Miracle on 34th Street is a film that was remade but at the same time both versions have their own character. It is possible to enjoy either version without prejudice, so this afternoon we watched the 1994 remake. Richard Attenborough is brilliant in the role of Kris Kringle, and I had forgotten (since my last viewing of the film) that the daughter is played by Mara Wilson. She seemed to have been in every film that came out in the early 1990s, but a quick check reveals that she only made seven films between the ages of six and thirteen. I initially checked because I thought for some reason that she had died young, (possibly an urban myth, or maybe I just imagined it) but I’m happy to reveal that Mara Wilson is alive and well and opted out of acting to concentrate on school. Given that a lot of child stars grow up to be train wrecks, it’s unusual to find someone so grounded.


===
My daily blog can be delivered straight to your Kindle for 99p a month (link)
I’m raising money to make a film about The Sunday Alternative and put on a free screening, please read my latest newsletter.

Any money donated to the PayPal account above will be used to make films, podcasts, and other content that will be made available free of charge.