If you've enjoyed this blog, please consider making a donation using the PayPal button. All money received will be used to make short films, podcasts, documentaries, comedy sketches and more. In return for your donations everything will be available to enjoy for free. Thanks in advance.

Wednesday 22 October 2014


Having had my ideas stolen on occasion without credit or money for myself, I am these days rather cagey about writing about my projects on the blog in case the wrong people see it and act on it before I am able to. I have seen two of my pitches turned down before being carried out by the very same organisations that turned them down in the first place with no shame whatsoever. This is hardly the ethos of an independent cinema in a supposedly bohemian part of the city with a village atmosphere. Come to think of it, neither is it the behaviour you would expect from an independent arts and culture magazine that promotes Nottingham’s greatness, but there you go. This is why I tend to refer to things by working titles in order to not give anything away. Another reason of course is superstition, I have learned the hard way over the years that talking too soon about something that won’t see the light of day until some considerable amount of time after you have mentioned it. Next year will see me trying to finally make some progress regarding projects that have been suspended due to factors of time and money among other logistical matters.

This week I made discreet enquiries about something regarding a new phase in the life of The Sunday Alternative. It’s an area that I am keen to pursue in order to expand the name, and this discreet enquiry has been discreetly enquired about in a few other places too. I have a potential yes (90%) and was asked in the reply to put together some kind of pitch, so I sent some enquiries to several bands and musicians (discreetly) and received an overwhelming support. This was especially nice for me of course as people in Nottingham either admire my honesty in music related matters or think that I’m a cunt, both of these points of view are fine with me to be honest; I don’t listen to music and champion acts to win a Nottingham music scene popularity contest, I do it because I love discovering new music and going to gigs. Simon Waldram, a local singer who I first met when he performed on The Sunday Alternative, tweeted me on Sunday to say that it meant more to him to have his song played on my podcast than it would have done to have been played on The Beat because I do it for the right reasons. With comments like that you can stick your crowd pleasing popularity up your arse.

Anyway, this is a secret thing at the moment and I am very excited about it despite the fact that at the moment it is purely speculative. It is a little frustrating to not be able to reveal what this piece of news is, and as such I am aware that this blog is a little annoying because it contains no useful information. On the plus side, when the time comes to reveal this news, nobody will have been able to fuck it up for me as I can think of at least two people who would attempt it given the chance.

===
My daily blog can be delivered straight to your Kindle for 99p a month (link)
Listen to The Sunday Alternative here

All donations received via the PayPal button above will be used to fund creative projects such as podcasts, short films, documentaries, comedy sketches and a whole lot more. You are under no obligation of course, but thanks in advance if you do drop something in the pot.